From July 2013 – February 2014 we picked one distinguished title that had been reviewed by us and honored it as our Best Book of the Month for the respective month during which the review for it was written. The books were judged using criteria based on three different components:
- The overall writing quality and originality of the work
- Writing quality refers to, but is not limited to: word choice, point of view, sentence structure, content, and overall flow.
- Works are considered original if they are unique in some way and if there is something about them that sets them apart from other books that are out on the market.
- The strength of the beginning, middle, and end of the work
- We like books that start off strong, don’t slow down in the middle, and end with a resounding thud. We want to read books that are engaging the entire way through.
- The impact the work has on the reader/reviewer
- If one of our reviewers highly recommends your book and urges us to consider it as the Best Book of the Month, this will greatly improve your book’s chances. Books that stay within the reader’s mind after the pages are done turning are the kinds of titles we wish to recognize.
The Best Book of the Month Award is no longer picking new winners, as our contest, The Red City Review Book Awards, is now open for submissions.
Best Book of the Month – February 2014
Best Book of the Month – January 2014
Best Book of the Year – 2013
Best Book of the Month – December 2013
Best Book of the Month – November 2013
Best Book of the Month – October 2013
Best Book of the Month – September 2013
Best Book of the Month – August 2013
Best Book of the Month – July 2013